Saturday, April 14, 2007

Greek Salad

While I'm neither Greek, nor a salad. I often enjoy putting together a Greek Salad. It makes a nice light lunch for us and is also quite tasty. I put one together for lunch today, and promptly forgot to take a picture of it.



One thing that's good to have when you're making a Greek Salad is an olive pitter. It's really a pain to chew around those olive pits while eating the salad. A few minutes spent taking those pits out makes the salad much more enjoyable.



Traditionally, I think the salad will have raw onion, as we're usually having it for lunch, we skip the onions. I also add a bit of iceberg lettuce to make it more like a traditional salad.




  • 1 large english cucumber
  • 3 roma tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
  • 20 (or so) Kalamata or salty Greek olives
  • 1 tablespoon Oregano
  • 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
  • 100g Feta cheese (I use a great 1/4 fat cheese I find here in Switzerland and France).
  • Salt to taste.


Grab your big salad bowl, and add the oregano, vinegar, olive oil and salt. Mix it up a bit, and let the vinegar and oil absorb some of the oregano taste.


Dice up the Feta cheese and add it to the salad dressing. Mix it up lightly.


Pit the olives if desired. Add olives to the salad dressing.

If desired, peel the cucumber, and then cut it four times lengthwise. Cut each segement into quarters across the end and then slice the four sticks so you get quarters of a slice of cucumber. Thow the cucumber into the salad bowl.


Cut up the lettuce, or if you do it the way I do and use a package of "Bag O'Salad" and put it into the bowl.


Mix the salad well. This way the dressing gets all of the blander parts of the salad covered with tasty salad dressing.


Dice the tomatoes and add them to the top of the salad. Serve immediately.



Serves two as main course, six as starter salad.

4 comments:

CanadianSwiss said...

A perfect meal for this kind of weather, don't you agree??

Un-Swiss Miss said...

I love feta! The one I get here is so much better than most of the stuff I used to get in New York. The only exception: a Bulgarian feta I started to buy on the recommendation of a Greek friend.

By the way, are there non-salted Greek olives? (Seriously. I'd be curious to try some, if there are.)

Greg said...

CDN-CH: I agree.

Un-swiss: I've found some good feta in Germany as well. Avoid the 1/2 fat stuff from COOP, unless you like cow milk feta. Okay, I don't know of any non-salted Greek olives, but there are some really nice big green olives I have seen with very little salt. I've had them both from Portugal and Italy.

Z said...

I don't care for feta so much, but your recipe looks good otherwise.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting any photos of fields and crop like I promised I would. Right now I have so much to "show" that I have a backlog.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.